Reasons for Legs Cramps and How Compression Socks can Help
A leg cramp, also known as a charley horse, can disrupt sleep, work and play. Leg cramp prevention socks help restore your sleep and reduce lower leg cramp discomfort, so you may quickly return to your favorite activities. The best compression socks for leg cramps cover your lower leg with adequate compression strength to increase circulation to and from your calves.
What is a Charley Horse?
Charley horse is a nickname given to a lower leg cramp. Many people know what a charley horse is by the feeling of muscle tightness or spasms in the back of the lower leg. Often, these leg cramps happen at night when the muscles contract around the nerves and cause pain.
What Causes a Leg Cramp?
The causes of lower leg cramps are typically a combination of factors. If you are experiencing recurring leg cramps, speak with your physician to rule out medical conditions such as blood clots, diabetes, nerve dysfunctions or medications that may contribute to your lower leg pain. Other causes of leg cramps include:
- Footwear: If you change footwear for a different season, purchase new shoes or are wearing tight shoes to work, your muscles may contract in response.
- Aging: Circulation challenges may occur with aging and muscle tightness may also be the result of decreased activity and flexibility.
- Lack of Minerals: Healthy muscle contractions depend on the availability of minerals such as potassium, sodium and calcium. If you are not consuming adequate amounts, muscle spasms and cramps may occur.
- Overuse: A change in your activity level may bring on leg cramps as your calves adjust to the increase in movement.
- Overexertion: If you change the intensity of your activity, you may also cause leg cramps or spasms, so gradually increase activity intensity to reduce your chances of leg cramps.
- Pregnancy: The increased blood circulation, weight and pressure on the lower legs, may lead to an increase in the frequency of leg cramps during pregnancy according to the Mayo Clinic.
Do Compression Socks Help with Leg Cramps?
Compression socks help relieve leg cramps in a variety of ways. The best compression socks for leg cramps support your calf muscles during activity to increase circulation to your lower legs, which can keep the muscles receiving vital minerals and nutrients. Compression socks also aid in recovery following activity to decrease swollen legs and improve circulation. During pregnancy, compression socks provide support for lower legs that may be under strain from additional fluids and weight. If swollen feet are a concern, a calf sleeve also helps to relieve leg cramps.
Leg Cramp Prevention Socks
Leg cramps are unexpected and unwelcome, but even when you cannot identify the source of the cramp, leg cramp prevention socks offer a solution. Remember these tips:
- Legs cramps occur for a variety of reasons. Some of which are within your control and some are not.
- Control the reasons you can, including eating a well-balanced diet, gradually increasing activity duration and intensity, and stretching after exercise.
- During life changes, wear compression socks to support your lower legs.
- Choose a compression sock with graduated compression to promote blood flow toward the heart.
For all your lower leg needs, to relieve leg cramps and for graduated compression socks, check out what we have to offer on our website!
Disclaimer: This article provides information solely for educational purposes, including but not limited to text, graphics, images, and other materials contained herein. This article is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.